Friday, January 06, 2012

Another Thing about it

I can totally see why people may have not liked the 2011 THE THING and I think CGI is a big part of that. I worked on a film that was a reflection on the excitement of the original release of Star Wars and yet that unnamed film excessively used CGI and greenscreen which completely killed the soul of its own Spielberg/Lucas roots of scale models, trick photography, and intricate puppetry. I guess that would be different if you couldn't tell it was CGI but in both films that was not the case. There's also the fact that the new THE THING didn't really step out of it's own box to reveal more depth to the over-all narrative. I actually appreciated this but I do feel the filmmakers missed an opportunity to show off a little at the end (spoiler: going inside the spaceship was not as impressive or inspired as it could've been). But as I mentioned before, I liked THE THING - I was entertained. If I was asked, I would say the impact of the 1st movie on me was far greater and thus I would say it was the superior film.

No comments: