Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Horror Film Recollections (copied from Facebook comments I made)

AT THE DEVIL'S DOOR which I previously listened to the Q&A podcast with the writer/director. One of the producers produced THE STRANGERS (which I really liked) and in the podcast the director was a little snarky about defying this producer - so I thought maybe this director has a unique vision. DEVIL'S DOOR was really boring with monotonously cheap scares and severely underdeveloped characters - horribly unmotivated ending (WE ARE WHAT ARE had a similar "from left field" character flip ending which some people seem to think is "clever"). Completely unsatisfied I went on to watch Jeff's recommendation of ALTITUDE which painfully starts like every other straight-to-video horror with a group of youngins going on a wild adventure in a small plane until something goes horribly wrong... But then some of the tension was actually decent - somewhat reminded me of FROZEN (the Adam Green film, not the Disney musical). But then things get so retarded and seemingly random that the ending completely blindsided me because it kind of made sense and was kind of cool. So ALTITUDE proved to be so much better than the in-flight horror film I recently saw 7500 (by the director of THE GRUDGE) which was based on the intriguing story of Helios Airways Flight 522, but poorly executed as a cinematic regurgitation.

Oh and I also saw AFFLICTED, the found footage horror recommended by the other David Chen (/film). Wanted to like it but it doesn't do anything interesting beyond a handful of found footage stunts - the plotting just gets tedious with no real pay-off. REC is still the gold standard for these type of films.

#gnetx #facebook #twitter

No comments: