Tuesday, February 04, 2014

5 Star Movies - Part 1

According to my Netflix ratings, these are films that I rated as 5 out of 5 stars. Granted a 5 star movie to me is usually a 4 star film that I happen to see at the right time and right place - where the film hit a distinct chord in me or marked a pivotal moment in my memories. And I never claim to have a particularly refined taste in film but I do know what I like. There are still many films yet to be added to this list - many good films in my 4 star list waiting to be promoted to 5 stars.


Ran - Epic Kurosawa. Bloody, haunting, tragic. It may be a slow burn but the totality of this film is of a time lost to Japan (in history and in film).


Quigley Down Under - What? A Tom Selleck movie in my favorite films of all time? Yes but there's also the venerable Alan Rickman as a villain as good if not equal to his Hans Gruber in DIE HARD. And it's a Western (in Australia) with one of the best showdown endings.


Spirited Away - A world building that is so uniquely Japanese and so uniquely Miyazaki, with many parallels to how we as humans are impacting our home world. And a touching coming-of-age story that only Miyazaki can tell.


Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade - The best of the Indy Jones movies. As campy as it can get, the action, the plotting, the adventure is Spielberg in top form. A toy box of socio-political action figures in worldy-fictional set pieces - so much fun.


Blood Simple - This was my intro to the Coen Bros but more importantly as I studied the Coens I was introduced to hard boiled novelist Dashiell Hammett. Both have shaped me as a filmmaker and this film is a prime example of what you can do on the indie level with just a talented cast, a film camera, and a finely tuned, high-tension script.


#gnetx #sse


No comments: