Sunday, March 04, 2007

THE PARADOX OF A BAD REVIEW

Reviewing is tough and ultimately I am not a film critic but more the film maker. So when I rate a film below the film maker's expectations or desires, I do feel a sense of guilt that I'm hindering their hope and not encouraging their growth. That's why I extend my comments beyond simple compliments because we are all in the attempt to defy odds - a feat that can't be done solo. The "star" rating system is nothing but a shortcut but everyone, including myself, put too much value in just what is measured in that shallow gap of 1-5 stars. So I've decided that if I'm going to rate a film below 3 stars, I will not apply it to the star rating, but I will leave my usual review in hopes that my comments will foster learning and not discouragement.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of bad films out there and putting them in their place clears the way for films that deserve attention. But timing and purpose are important in knowing when to drop that hammer.

Thanks for listening! And thanks for all the entertainment.


Sam

No comments: